Water Damage Emergency Tips!
When dealing with water damage, immediate action is vital. Water damage can lead to expensive repairs and potential disruption of your building’s operations. It also creates an environment for mold, mildew, and other dangerous bacteria to grow which impacts the safety of your employees and guests. If the issue isn’t addressed quickly, the damage can end up costing your facility even more in the long run.
Water damage can occur for several reasons: pipes breaking or leaking, sewage systems malfunctioning, leaking appliances, or pump issues. While we can’t predict when these types of issues will occur, below are a few tips to help you and your employees to be better prepared in case of an emergency.
What you can do until help arrives:
- Determine if the property is safe to stay in
- Only perform activities that you can do so safely
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy, so take extra caution when trying to move items
What should you do post-emergency?
- Shut off gas and electricity to the property
- Take photos and videos of your property to document the damage
- Remove personal belongings from the property and make a list of all damaged items
- Review any leasing documents that pertain to property damages and significant water damage
- Contact your insurance provider
- Water extraction
- The use of moisture detection equipment to identify and remove hidden moisture
- Drying of affected areas
- Disinfection and deodorization
- Reconstruction plan and execution
As traumatizing as a flood can be on your property, it is best to contact a restoration company to assist with the cleanup and rebuilding. Since there is a short window to work in after the event occurs, having professionals onsite will help prevent ongoing water damage and mold growth. Whether your whole property is damaged or just certain areas, contact Express Restoration Services to help get your building cleaned up quickly.